Tuesday, May 20, 2008

An introduction

You have now viewed my journal. You may not unview it.

My name is Jenna. I am a supremely intelligent, highly articulate student from the University of Waterloo (I don't possess the humble gene). I don't much care for politics, but i'm going to attempt to either become decently learned in the subject, or fake it as best I can.

This blog is the brainchild of my Canadian Government professor. Here i will post the most interesting and relevent articles I find regarding the political system of our great nation, and then explain, analyze, critique, and rip them apart (if necessary) with literary ferocity and a hint of wit.

The idea of scouring the internet for political happenings & current events relating to notre pays is, shockingly, novel to me. I'm a french major. I possess an insatiable curiosity regarding criminology, but the news; the legal system; the politics of Canada, have never quite drawn me in. This may be because there is nothing about the Canadian legal system that seems urgent. In truth, our national news bores me.

When seeking out affairs, I turn to the global forum. This is propogated by the fact that the political machines of America and Europe seem far more relevant to my life then do those of Canada:

I am a Canadian, yes. I reside in Canada presently, as do my family and closest friends. But in truth, my home is on a US Airforce base in Germany. I am a Canadian surrounded by the norms, values, doctrines, and laws of countries that are not my own. The decisions they make will affect me far more directly than Canadian decisions, and the laws they pass are the ones i'll be abiding by far more often than those in Canada.

This being said, I'll make it a point to immense myself in Canadian politics, and search the intraweb tirelessly for the ultimate in recent, shocking, and interesting news events, while tackling them from my own, slightly more globalized, perspective. The idea is to learn something; and maybe become passionate about the country I was born & raised in....

But, if nothing else, to be able to quote pretentiously to my American husband all of the many reasons for Canadian political superiority over the US ;)

Feedback is welcome...and in fact, i might just insist, considering the grade percentage relying on it. I'll try to keep things as riviting as possible for you.




I'm looking forward to the challenge.

No comments: